Thursday, March 13, 2014

Watching What We Say

Mike and I have made some conscience decisions about some of the things we say and don't say in our house.

1) We limit the word "no".  Depending on the situation, we either try to distract her with something else positive or explain to our daughter what she's doing wrong and why it's wrong. 

2) We don't say things like "that was stupid of me".  When we mess up we try not put ourselves down.

3) I stand in front of the mirror with my daughter and we talk to ourselves saying only positive things about ourselves.  We say things like "I love you" and "You're pretty."  (OK, so I speak for baby). 

4) We praise her for everything positive she does, regardless how small or big the task.

5) We speak words of encouragement.  In our house you'll constantly hear "you can do it!"

I have found them to be very productive when teaching and guiding our daughter.  Even though she's one she understands a lot and it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment