Sunday, August 18, 2013

Why I'm not meant to be a Stay-at-Home Mom

I am very fortunate to have a job that granted me 12 weeks of paid maternity leave.  Of course, I had to use my sick leave that I had accumulated over the past 4 years at my job, but I had was able to take the full 12 weeks.  When it was time for me to return to work, I started second guessing my choice to be a working mom.  I loved my baby and the thought of not spending every day with her bothered me.  I would pray and ask God if my husband & I made the right decision about me returning to work.  I felt like I was a horrible mother by being a working mom.  Luckily, to help with the transition back to work my job was willing to allow me to work part time.  However, my anxiety about being a working mom increased when I would drop my child off at daycare.  I was not comfortable with the original daycare we chose and thought that I was making the biggest mistake in my life by returning to work.  Within two weeks of returning to work, we switched daycares.  Once we switched, I started to become more and more comfortable with the idea of being a working mom

I got to spend the past week with my baby.  Now that our week together is coming to an end I've realized I'm not the stay-at-home type.  And my baby is not the stay-at-home type either.  By the end of the week, we'd go out to the park and you could tell that she really wanted to play with the other kids, something she didn't get to do when it was just mommy and her.  I realized that my baby really needs and desires to interact with people her own age as much as I need to interact with people my own age. 

I highly respect the mom's who were called to be stay-at-home mothers.  God has truly given them a gift.  However after this week, I am more confident in the fact that God has not called me to be a stay-at-home mom (for the time being).  God created everyone to be different and He's created me to be a working mom and there's nothing wrong with that.  Maybe in the future I will be a stay-at-home mom, but right now I'm happy and content with being a working mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment