Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Reflection

As I look back over this past year it's hard to believe where I was at this very moment 1 year ago.  I had a newborn baby.  I had forgotten what sleep, friends, or showers were.  I felt like I was spending most of my time trying to figure out this whole nursing thing.  My house was a disaster, which drove me nuts!  My whole life was turned upside-down and my husband and I were trying to learn what our new normal was going to be. 

2013 was a year of learning the new normal.  As soon as we figured something out and got into the routine, our new normal needed to change again.  Whether it was my sleep schedule (or lack there of), returning to work, my husband's new job, or going from a newborn to a busy toddler, we were constantly learning a new normal.  Looking back to this very moment last year I had no clue how I was going to make it.  I thought the sleep deprivation would never end.  I thought I'd forever need to take a shower at 1:00 am because that was the only time I could find to take a shower (yes, I took many a shower at 1:00 am).  But now I see that all this stuff was only short lived.  Sure it didn't feel short lived at the time, but eventually I developed a new normal for a short period of time and moved on.
I am amazed and very proud of myself of how far I've become.  2013 has also been a year of growth for me.  I came face to face with a lot of challenges this year.  I was prepared for some of those challenges, but I was no where near prepared for all the challenges I would face.  It's because of these challenges, I feel like I have really grown a lot this past year.  I am constantly amazed at how I've grown and overcome some of the challenges and fears I faced.  I'm proud of myself for that.  It wasn't easy and I still have a lot of growing to do.  I pray that in 2014 God can continue to help me grow in the areas of my life I find that I am still struggling with.

Lastly, 2013 was the year of sacrifice for me.  When I was pregnant I knew that once our little bundle of joy would arrive that there would have to be a lot of sacrifices on my part.  I was not prepared for all the sacrifices I would really have to make.  I sacrificed my "me" times, my meal times, my showers, my sleep, and my clean house, just to name a few.  Overall, I'm happy to make a lot of the sacrifices I did for my family, yet I would be lying if I said that all my sacrifices were good.  I would sacrifice my time alone to rejuvenate only to find myself even more tired, stressed and burnt out.  I hope I can learn where that fine line is on positive verses negative sacrifices. 

I'm grateful for all my experiences I had in 2013.  I wouldn't trade them for the world.  I hope to experience even more wonderful experiences in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment